Brown Rice Pumpkin Risotto (Traditional Method)
Adapted from a recipe by Katie Webster via Healthy Seasonal Recipes
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I use vermouth from the grocery store like my mom)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 15-ounce can canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Do not let brown.
- Stir in rice and cook, stirring until the rice grains start to get translucent.
- Stir in wine and cook, stirring often until the wine has mostly evaporated.
- Stir in chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer undisturbed until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 30 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin and sage. Cook, stirring often until the mixture is thickened and the rice is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit 5 minutes off the heat to thicken further. Serve sprinkled with more freshly ground pepper and sage leaves for garnish.
Modifications, Extras, & Subs
- If you are not following the Clean Program Elimination Diet, you can
- add grated or shredded hard cheese (Parmesean is the classic) after removing from heat. Top with additional cheese when serving.
- Serve over a chiffonade of greens or with a salad on the side.
- Add a protein– serving this alongside a roast chicken would be divine.