Lamb Coconut Curry with Peas and Fresh Mint
Adapted from Butter & Air
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lbs ground lamb
- 1 TB curry powder*
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk, shaken or stirred to uniform consistency
- 1 cup chicken or beef bone broth
- 1 bag of frozen peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- half a lemon
- In a deep skillet or dutch oven, melt the coconut oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until onion begins to soften.
- Add garlic and cook a minute more.
- Add the ground lamb to the onions and garlic and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until it’s uniformly crumbly and brown.
- Sprinkle with curry powder and salt, then stir to combine.
- Pour in the coconut milk and broth and raise heat until it begins to bubble gently (not boil).
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in frozen peas and carrots – they’ll cook quickly once exposed to the heat.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the mint and black pepper, and squeeze the lemon juice directly into the pot, watching to make sure you don’t let any seeds slip in.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in bowls over your choice of rice.
- Sprinkle mint over each serving.
Modifications, Extras, and Subs
- Serve with naan– any kind of naan!